Saturday 22 September 2007

Shooting prohibited

An experiment in HDR and tone mapping effects. It is a time of learning here, of trying different post processing techniques and mostly fumbling around through different graphics manipulation packages and a multitude of settings.

I had seen this on the Gare Road a few times and the light was never quite right. Today was a little better, but I knew that exposing for the sky and grass was going to leave the sign badly underexposed. I tried various level and curve adjustments in GIMP but still didnt achieve the effect I was after.

This led me down the HDR and tone mapping path, something I have been curious about for a while but never actually played with. I'm kind of happy with the result, though I would prefer it without the light halo around the sign.

Should anyone really want to produce a similar result (though I cannot imagine they would!) these are the steps I took on my Ubuntu install of Linux....

1) Loaded the original image into Ufraw - saved as three different TIFF files with different exposure levels - i.e. underexposed, normal and overexposed
2) Created a new HDR in qtpfsgui and accepted the defaults.
3) Then tone mapped the file using the pre v1.84 Fattal algorithm, Alpha 0.1, Beta 0.8, Colour satursation of 1, and no noise reduction.
4) Loaded into GIMP and adjusted levels.

I am still learning this stuff, but it is a fair example of how HDR and tone mapping work.

No comments: