Monday 10 December 2007

Time trails

Its been some time since my last blog entry - a rather hectic few months.

This one is probably one of my best from a weekend in London. I guess you are guaranteed to get some decent shots if you spend almost the entire time trawling around with camera and tripod.

The culmination of the trip was arriving at Westminster for the blue hour, when the sun has slipped below the horizon and light levels are dropping slowly, it is an ideal time for long exposures and representing the world in a different way.

The pavement was wet from a recent shower and I setup my tripod as far out of the way of passing tourists as I could and waited for a double decker bus to approach. I had initially intended for the light trails to run through the whole picture, but with the light levels what they were, could only allow myself a 2.5 second exposure. On retrospect, I'm glad, the image gives me the impression of an English version of "Back to the future", instead of a De Lorean, we would use a double decker London bus!

The low point of the trip to London was reaching Kings Cross an hour early, only to listen as the tannoy announced that all trains were suspended due to overhead line faults just north of the station. Eventually got home at around 3.15am, but it was worth it!

No comments: